Sunday, August 16, 2009

Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Part 2 Review


For whatever reason, the first installment of Watchmen: The End is Nigh clicked with me. I'd just seen the movie, the story was decent enough, and the combat felt pretty good. Part 2, on the other hand, feels rushed, uninspired, and just plain boring.

Absolutely nothing new is done to make Part 2 feel fresh. The story is uninteresting and only serves to give loose justification for the action without a single mention of the events from the first game. The fighting, the music, and even some of the enemies are recycled, and despite being two chapters shorter than Part 1, it feels exponentially longer.



The biggest problem with Part 2 is the level design. Fighting wave after wave of clones through rooms that you could've sworn you were just in gets old fast; it becomes apparent that the game runs out of tricks within minutes. It certainly doesn't help that the only thing breaking up the pace of mindless brawling is pulling an occasional lever or busting open a door.

It's boring, it's buggy, and it seems to go on forever despite only being a few hours long. Unless you're blindly obsessed with all things Watchmen, you shouldn't waste your money on this game.

Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Part 2 / $14.99 / Reviewed on PS3

2 comments:

  1. I bough the first installment, and played it for a good 2 hours. Since then, I haven't touched it. I could very easily return, but I still feel some regret in my purchase.

    As for this installment, I have no plans in buying it. The first was hardly worthy, if at all, and this one sounds completely unsatisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd return for the trophies if nothing else. Get some sort of value out of it.

    For me the first one just hit at the right time: my interest in Watchmen was up, I was in the mood for a brawler, and it at least looked good.

    This one... I'm done with Watchmen and they SOMEHOW made it more repetitive even though it's shorter. Totally not worth it.

    ReplyDelete